Govts split funds for Qld motorway upgrade
The Queensland and federal governments have agreed to a 50-50 funding split for an overdue upgrade of the Ipswich motorway.
Work on the $400 million upgrade is expected to start later this year, widening the busy motorway from four to six lanes from Rocklea to Darra in Brisbane's southwest.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the upgrade would be a relief for motorists who use the road regularly, especially during the morning and afternoon peaks when it can reach a standstill.
It comes after the state and federal governments last month came to an agreement on the long-running stoush over the funding split for the M1 upgrade to cure the Eight Mile Plains bottleneck.
The Palaszczuk Labor government had been pushing for an 80-20 funding split with the Commonwealth taking up the bulk of the funding for what it argued was a federal road.
However the Turnbull government pushed for a 50-50 split, with an undisclosed agreement being made in March for three highway upgrades including the M1 project.
Queensland Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said they had been happy to agree to a 50-50 funding split for the Ipswich Motorway upgrade .
"This (road) was de-listed as part of the land transport network in early 2015 by the Commonwealth, so it doesn't qualify for 80-20 funding as other parts of the network are," Mr Bailey said on Thursday.
"The motorists just want this done, so that's why we have worked to get it done. It's overdue, it should have been done last term, we're getting on with it this term."
Federal Senator George Brandis attended the Ipswich Motorway announcement and agreed with the "standard funding arrangement".
"The important point is that the state government and the federal government ... have worked collaboratively to deliver this outcome," Senator Brandis told reporters at Rocklea.
Around 85,000 vehicles use the Rocklea to Darra stretch of the motorway daily, including up to 12,000 trucks.
© AAP 2017